When you come to the Smoky Mountains, don’t forget to spend some time at Dollywood. The park was built in 1986 and includes over 150 acres of fun! Here are some facts about Dollywood and what’s new for 2011. Cabins Near Dollywood
1) Dollywood opens up this year on March 26th, and closes for the season on December 30th 2011. Their calendar varies greatly, so you may want to check out their calendar at www.dollywood.com. Dollywood is located in Pigeon Forge,Tennessee, 35 miles southeast of Knoxville, off I-40 at Exit 407. You can use google maps or mapquest.com to get driving directions from your location.
2) Dollywood has an amazing entertainment attraction called the Festival of Nations.They have performers from around the world celebrating their unique music, dance, food and art. This year they are performing March 26-May 2, 2011.
3) Did you know you can get a season pass to Dollywood? If you plan on visiting the Pigeon Forge area more frequently, a season pass makes sense! If you purchase the pass before May 1st, you can save $10.00. Seewww.dollywood.com for specific prices on the passes.
4) Dollywood has an amazing number of rides in the park. Some are appropriate for children, some for adults, and beware, on some of the rides you will get wet!They have over 30 rides including rollercoasters! Check out their all new ride for 2011, the Barnstormer! This thrilling ride will swing airplanes on two massive arms going 45 mph and over 80 feet high. There is also a biplane play area and a pig pen play area for the kids below the ride. There are rides for everyone at Dollywood!
5) Dollywood has always had amazing live entertainment. This year their shows include country, bluegrass, Southern gospel, classic rock and 50’s music.
6) Dollywood also has 5 festivals throughout the year. The Festival of Nations offers five weeks of cultural events by performers from around the world. Join your kids for a fun-filled day at Kidsfest, the South’s largest children’s festival. They have a Barbeque & Bluegrass festival, featuring the biggest names in bluegrass music while you enjoy great bbq. The National Southern Gospel & Harvest Celebration includes gospel music and master craftsmen demonstrating their skills. And finally, enjoy their Smoky Mountain Christmas.
7) Dollywood has amazing shopping available with over 40 shops displaying apparel, home furnishings, crafts and food.
8) Make sure you come hungry to Dollywood, they have an amazing array of food choices to tempt your appetite! Everything from full service restaurants serving up southern comfort food, to booths you can walk up to and enjoy food off of a giant skillet, to ice cream, to pizza to bbq… there is a huge variety of food available for you and your family.
9) If you come to Dollywood in the summertime, be sure to check out their sister park, Dollywood’s Splash Country water park! Featuring over 23 water slides, thrill rides, a lazy river and kids playground, this park will quench your thirst for water fun for you and your family!
10) Remember, Dollywood opens on March 26th 2011. The opening day will feature the Festival of Nations and Dolly Parton herself will be making appearances around the park all day. Come to Pigeon Forge, TN and enjoy Dollywood this year!